Thursday, July 27, 2006

Getting it right

Once in a while our politicians get something right. In this case I'm referring to the recent House approval of a ban on the confiscation of legally held weapons during a crisis. Interestingly enough, the whole premise of this is to reaffirm a right that was previously delineated in the 2nd amendment. Score one for the bill of rights!

I'm not going to turn this into a long discussion about gun control and constitutional law, but I think it's very positive that such a large number of congresspeople can appreciate an individuals right to the means of self defense. What I don't like is that time actually has to be spent on bills that simply confirm the rights that should already be fairly clear-cut. Of course as long as some politicians and law enforcement officials fail to take heed of the constitution ( *cough* *New Orleans* *ahem* ) I suppose this type of thing is necessary.

No comments: