Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More railfanning

I wasn't expecting to have another railfanning post so soon after the last one, but I'm back in Virginia which means I've had a few chances to get photos from the shortline near the place where I'm working. In fact, I had just pulled into the parking lot when I noticed this coming down the tracks.



There's nothing too special about that shot. Nice, but not too unusual. Hold on though, what's that behind the lead locomotive



Looks like a home-built locomotive from the Winchester and Western. If I'm not mistaken this locomotive is actually a slug. (For the uninitiated, at low speeds, the diesel engine in a typical locomotive can generate much more electricity than it's motors can actually use, so locomotives that frequently operate at low speeds are often coupled with units that have powered trucks and no diesel engine)


This picture was taken the next day.

The neat thing is that they have apparently added a cab with controls to the slug, so they don't have to deal with the usual problem of having an obstructed view. From this view it looks a little bit like a normal locomotive, but it still has a lot more character than your average EMD unit.

No comments: