Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Road to Singapore

I left off after my last post without saying much about where I was going or what I was doing.

After leaving Japan I caught a flight over to Hong Kong. My real destination was a manufacturing faucility in Huizhou but because I didn't have an entry visa, I couldn't go straight into China. Fortunalty it is possible to get a visa in 24 hours or less if you happen to be in Hong Kong. So I spent a day in Hong Kong.

Now don't get the idea that I was slacking off. My employer, hence to be known as The Company I Dare Not Name, happens to have an office in Hong Kong. In fact they used to have a factory there too until prices got so high that they moved it across the border. (No it's not just a problem in America.) So rather than go running about the town I went into the office, made a couple phone calls and took care of some work.

That evening one of the people from the office took me out to dinner at a place where we could enjoy the skyline of Hong Kong. The skyline there just goes on and on!! And to top that off, they routinely have a light show where the building lights flash in various patterns and lasers flash from the rooftops. Sadly, we were on the edge of a typhoon so I didn't bother to take pictures.

By the time I made it back to the hotel, my visa was in so the next morning I crossed the border into China. Details will follow in a later post.

A couple days later I crossed back into Hong Kong, caught a flight and now I'm in Singapore. I'll be here for at least a few days. After that, who knows? Maybe I'll be going home.

Stay tuned for pictures and more details.

No comments: