Monday, May 22, 2006

Breezing through Hong Kong

During my brief stay in Hong Kong I didn't actually spend any time on Hong Kong Island. Instead I stayed in a nearby region of the country called Sha Tin.



While it may look a bit dreary at 6AM, I can assure you that this place is bustling and teaming with life during the day and well into the night.

Hong Kong is known for having one of the highest population densities on the planet, and I can believe it. Across the street from m hotel there was a shopping mall (on two sides of the hotel no less.) On top of the shopping mall there was a swimming pool, a tennis court, and a playground for little kids. But why put all of that on top of a shopping mall? Well, mostly to entertain the people who lived in the three high rise apartment buildings built on top of the shopping mall. I don't mean small ones either. These things stuck up at least 20 to 30 stories over the roof of the mall.


As I mentioned earlier, the weather was lousy during most of my stay in Hong Kong, so I've shamelessly stolen a picture from www.deskpicture.com

I can't say that I'm really crazy about cities, but hopefully I'll get to spend some time exploring Hong Kong in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new picture on the left... Hong Kong looks beautiful... -Bo

Mr. Engineering Johnson said...

Bo, do you mean the dilbert picture? Because I'm pretty sure that's on the right. Either that or being on opposite sides of the globe has given us a reversed view.