Saturday, February 19, 2005

Old 4x4s never die; they just fade away.

I can't say that I've ever been a big fan of off-roading and four wheeling (It seems wrong to explore the wilderness without having one's feet on the ground.) That said, I really like well made SUV's because of their usefulness and the fun that can be had while driving them around.


Some people may favor the Willys Jeep variants, but I have a soft spot for another 4x4.
Before the Toyota LandCruiser became the oversized luxury beast it is today, it had a much more functional design.



Now THAT is what a 4x4 should look like! This very Jeep-like appearance of the TLC FJ40 shouldn't be surprising when one considers that the LandCruiser was originally intended for military use. Of course therugged design made it a favorite for many off-road enthusiasts.


I drove one of these beasts when I was in high school (it was a hand-me-down from my parents) and believe me, it felt like you were driving a tank. I loved it! So imagine the thrill I got when I found out that Toyota would be releasing this little gem. Apparently they realized that there was a need for another 4x4 in their lineup and they decided to recreate a little of the old FJ40.





Of course I'm guessing that the new FJ cruiser will be a bit more refined than the older FJ40, but with any luck they'll hold on to some of the old magic of the original.

I can hardly wait to see these on the road!

No comments: