Thursday, October 06, 2005

Kim The Gun Guy speaks

Non-gun-geeks might as well skip this post

Over at the Nation of Riflemen daily rant, there's a post that I've been anticipating for quite a while. The range report for the Mech-Tech-CCU has finally been posted.

Now to explain why this is so important...A long time back I bought into the concept of "companion guns." Basically, any long-gun/handgun pairing which would allow you to share ammunition between firearms, thus making it possible to carry a rifle and a handgun without having to double up on the ammunition you're carrying.

For quite some I'm I've toyed with the idea of getting an M1911 style handgun, but, as many a marksman has said, a handgun is what you use when you don't have time to get your rifle. So if I get an M1911, then I'd want to get a rifle to compliment it. Sadly, Marlin is no longer making their Camp Carbine, so the best rifle using M1911 magazines isn't available at any reasonable price.

Here is where the CCU comes in.

The unit by itself is not a firearm (it can't fire a bullet) but if you combine it with the lower half of a M1911, then you have a complete firearm which takes M1911 magazines and gives you the basic benefits of a long-gun. Take the receiver out of the CCU, put the M1911 barrel and slide back on, and you have a functional handgun.

With the stopping power of a 45acp and the accuracy of a rifle barrel together you end up with the best of both worlds.



Sounds like it's time for me to start saving up my pennies! (and plenty of them)

No comments: